Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Laughing Dolls

5.5 x 7.5 inches, watercolor and gouache, 2009.

The theme for the challenge in the WNW watercolour group this month is "still life". So I decided to paint some of the dolls I have knocking around, something I've been meaning to do for a while. The baby doll was one I found when out walking the dog, many years ago - she has no arms or legs and her eyes are a bit wonky, so that endeared her to me. The middle one is a "Jem" doll - bought for me by a friend back in the 80's, she was a "Pop Star" doll - her ear-rings light up and flash. The final one is something I found when clearing my Nan's house after she passed away. It was going to be thrown out so I saved it, hideous though it is. It looks sort of Chinese, but where it came from and why is a mystery. They all look so happy and jolly, like they are sharing a joke!

3 comments:

Hillary Miller said...

I love the creepy joyfulness of this unique subject! And the clean fresh painting approach. And the moving, lively hair.

Art By Erika said...

I can't help but smile big when I look at this piece such a happy one Mark! I also like the wonderful display of different hair treatments. Another lovely showcase of your talents!

Theresa Taylor Bayer said...

Oh how I LOVE IT! Second the creepy joyfulness.