Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Blythe Goes Joyriding


5 x 7 inches, watercolour and gouache, 2008.
This is the first of my entries in this year's EBSQ Ripped Off show. The idea is to pair up with another artist from EBSQ and each do a work based on a piece of the other's work. This painting was based on Noelle Hunt's "Chicken To Ride". It's a Blythe doll - these dolls were originally made in the early 70's and had big eyes that changed colour when you pulled a string in the back of her head . I know because I had one! I was given it and if only I had realised then what a collectors item it would be now, as they were only made originally for a year, 1972. A Japanese company started making them again a few years ago and a whole cult has grown up around them. Anyway, my painting takes the Blythe and chicken-riding theme of Noelle's original and mixes it up to make something even more kitsch with a rude joke in there if you have a dirty mind!

1 comment:

Art By Erika said...

WHOAH!!!!! Definitely one of my most favorite paintings of yours Mark!